"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Making Ordinary Candles Prim

 First of all I would like to say that IT IS COLD!!
I woke up to -1 degrees this morning!  It has warmed up to 6 degrees now.  That is very cold for around here.  I know it is cold everywhere in the US, and I am very glad I am not any farther north!
I hope all of you had a Happy New Year!
We started it off with the flu, and it is still going around our house.  
I wasn't able to do a year in review post or anything about my wonderful Christmas. 
 Alas I am going to have to try to post those another day.  

I did want to share with you a little project that I did for part of a Christmas present.  I needed 5 or 6 Prim-looking candles, so buying them was NOT in my budget.  I found these little white ones in a pack of 7 at the Dollar Tree.  Just what I needed.  By the way, everything in there is $1 just in case you weren't sure ;)
 Here are the supplies that I used.  I always save all of my old wax and store it in an old coffee tin.  As you can see I have a wood spoon that I use only to help dip if necessary. Next I dumped some inexpensive cinnamon into a plastic container.  Finally I made sure I had pliers to help dip and wax paper to lay the hot candles on to cool on the counter.
 I heated my wax up right in the coffee tin.  I use a saucepan that I bought at a yard sale and use the combination as a double boiler. 
CAUTION:  You are working with hot wax!  Be careful!
 Using pliers:
1.  Dip the candle in the wax
2. Right away roll the hot candle in cinnamon
3. and dip one last time to seal the cinnamon onto the candle.
 Repeat these steps until you have the desired prim look you want.
Here are what my candles turned out to look like.  I think I dipped them at least 5 or six times.  I dipped them half way sometimes, because I needed the bottom to be bigger to fit into the candle holders.
My $1 solution to Prim Candles.

9 comments:

  1. Genius! Love the look and I'm pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it ! Hope all feel better today

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really great Tammy and especially for the price!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea . . . and I'll bet they smell wonderful. Candles like that would cost a mint in a gift shop . . . bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you buy extra dollar tree candles for the spare wax? I don't have any stored up..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you buy extra dollar tree candles for the spare wax? I don't have any stored up..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this from furniture wax or candle wax? I love this look and have paid much more than these would cost to make. I wonder if it is safe to figure out how to do this with the LED candles? Loving, pinning, doing! Hope you are able to throw out the unwanted guest (FLU)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing... again. The Lord has given you a wonderfully creative mind. some day would love to meet you (I'm the gal who lives somewhat nearby - Elizabethtown to be exact)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.